Contact Info

315 Campbell Ave SW, Roanoke, VA 24016

Tel: (540) 342-1851

E-mail: [email protected]

Juvenile Court concept

My Child Committed a Crime – Now What?

Trust Melvin L. Hill Attorney at Law for a Quality Juvenile Law Lawyer

My child committed a crime – now what? Melvin L. Hill Attorney at Law in Roanoke, VA has the answers to your questions. Sometimes kids will make mistakes. But sometimes those errors in judgement can result in serious legal problems. That creates a great level of stress for you as a parent and your child. In our blog this month, we offer some tips for how to handle this situation.



Your Child Has the Right to Have Attorney Representation

Much like the adult justice system, the accused in the juvenile justice system have the right to consult with an attorney. You should spend time researching quality attorneys that can handle your child’s situation. Attorney Melvin L. Hill successfully represents those who face juvenile charges. Before trial, a judge will decide if your case should remain in the juvenile system, or move to adult court.



Many of the Rights Adults Have Also Belong to Juveniles

The authorities should’ve informed your child of their right to remain silent at the time of their arrest. Your lawyer may have witnesses testify on your child’s behalf, and cross examine the accuser and their witnesses. Keep in mind decisions come from the judge in this case, and not a jury. Your child may also remain silent throughout the juvenile justice process to avoid self-incrimination.


The Prosecutor Must Establish Guilt Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

The standard of evidence doesn’t change between the juvenile and adult court. Prosecutors must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your child is guilty. Defendants may appeal a guilty verdict to circuit courts. If you’re not satisfied with the verdict, you can appeal to the Court of Appeals and Virginia State Supreme Court.



Depending on the Crime, Your Child’s Criminal Record Can Be Sealed

If the alleged crime your child committed is not a felony in adult court, the court can seal the record. Prosecutors, though, can argue there is a good cause for the court not to seal the records. If the crime is in relation to the child’s delinquent act, those could also stay. Check out the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Office of the Attorney General for more information.



Do you need more information on how to handle your child’s legal situation?  Call Melvin L. Hill Attorney at Law in Roanoke, VA, at (540) 342-1851. Check out our blog for more great information on protecting your freedom. We are ready to discuss the question my child committed a crime – what now?